What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident: A Step-by-Step Legal Guide
If you or someone you know has been in a pedestrian accident, you need to know the proper steps to take in order to receive the proper compensation. Luckily, a pedestrian accident lawyer will help you every step of the way.
At Smith, Alston, Darner, & Lee, located in Phoenix and Mesa, AZ, our injury accident lawyers offer free consultation to anyone who is seeking our services. With our 60 years of combined experience, we can ensure you will receive the compensation you deserve. Give our office a call at (602) 892-5000 or contact us online today.
A Trustworthy Guide
Pedestrian accidents are unfortunately very common and have been increasing in numbers every year. Though many of these accidents can be avoided, it’s very important to know when to call a lawyer to help you with your case. Read below for a step-by-step guide on what to do following a pedestrian accident.
- Remain Calm and Look for Injuries- We know it might be hard to remain calm after being struck by a vehicle, but it’s important to keep a clear head when assessing your injuries. Depending on your ability to move, remove yourself from the street as soon as possible.
- Call the Authorities- There is a high chance that any witnesses have already called the police, but if they haven’t, make sure you or the driver call them to report the incident. Not only will the police be notified, but other emergency services will come as well.
- Get the Driver’s Info- Even if you didn’t sustain any injuries, do not let the driver leave until you receive their information. Aside from gathering their contact information, do not speak to them regarding fault, as it can potentially be used against you in court.
- Gather All Evidence- As soon as you’re able, gather evidence of the accident. Photos of the scene and road signs, as well as the clothes you were wearing when you were hit are all vital pieces of evidence. If there are any witnesses, try to gather their contact information too.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention- If no emergency personnel come to the scene, make sure to go to a hospital or urgent care to assess any injuries, even if you do not think you have any. Your body can potentially be in shock, temporarily masking injuries. A pedestrian accident lawyer will ask you to keep track of all medical documents for additional evidence.
- Contact Your Insurance Company- If the driver doesn’t have insurance, your own insurance company will provide coverage. No matter whose insurance company you speak to, make sure to answer questions truthfully and don’t make any statements without your pedestrian accident lawyer present.
- Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer- Regardless of what kind of accident you are involved in, contacting a lawyer is important. A pedestrian accident lawyer in Mesa will help you receive proper compensation and avoid any possible fault charges.
Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Mesa
At Smith, Alston, Darner, & Lee, located in Mesa, we are dedicated to helping the victims of pedestrian accidents receive proper compensation. Our pedestrian accident lawyers are highly experienced and can guarantee you will receive justice. Call (602) 892-5000 for your free consultation today.